Am I obliged to have tenants present during exit checks?

Dave A

My pita tenants are still trying to be clever right up to the bitter end. We have provided plenty of dates for the exit check to be completed, and none meet with their approval, they have given me the following comment in an email: "we have spoken to our solicitor and the exit inventory is at our convenience", personally I think this is absolute bull. Do I have to involve them at all? or can I just get on with it after they have left and send them a copy of the report? I am not expecting any issues.

Dave

If they won't facilitate a check out, and it's they;re requirement for one so as to be able to ascertain condition and responsibilities, then it follows that the house is still unavailable for re rent.

I would point out that until such time that they have truly surrendered the house it is still in their effective possession and rents are due, and until the end of the next tenancy period.

This is just my view and opinion btw.

Arguable, but not exactly "web abbreviation" connected with the backside and hemorrhoids.

It's not that they won't complete, as in everything associated with this tenancy they are making it delibrately awkward. I would just like to get on with the inspection and copy them with the report, can I do this?

Thanks for the advice so far.

If it's the professional that carries out the check out inspection, appointed by the agent I expect, then they have little to argue with.

I would inform them of the date and time of inspection, with some warning of course, from there it's their choice and tough if they can't organise to attend or have am agent of theirs attend.

Being pedantic and assuming that all parties are in attendance. Do we expect the check out inspector to arbitrate any disagreement on the day ?

Assuming the inspector doesn't need direction I don't actually see any purpose of others being there anyway.

Do you have a detailed, signed by both parties inventory? If not you will not be able to make any deduction anyway unless agreed by the tenant.

Take a camera, don't be rushed, get a forwarding address, and don't commit to anything straight away.

I have a step son who job is cleaning and when he lived at home his room was a absolute pig sty and smelt like it also.

I also have a tenant who does the same (cleaning) and his flat was the most disgusting I have ever seen but I inherited him from another agent and for some reason the landlord doesn't want him kicked out.

Then another tenant I have I is a single man who works as a labourer on building sites and his place is absolutely pristine.

So no guarantee's.

Like it, needed a laugh this morning.

We have just driven by house this morning and it appears they have left. We are concerned that they may have left without leaving any level of heating on as they are a. tight and b. spiteful. I believe I am write in giving them 24 hours written notice that we intend to enter the house to ensure it has left been in such a way as to ensure no damage will occur. Their period of notice ends on Thursday at 11 am, i don't think I will be able to sleep until I have satisfied myself they haven't done anything untoward.

Dave

If there are no signs that they are there and no belongings just go for it.

They could claim illegal entry, but if they aren't in possession it doesn't apply, and who would have interest.

Same again if they claim harassment, but that also requires two or more events.

Try and cover yourself against claims of theft.

The worst they could do in my view is claim for any losses, eg belongings. A video of your walkabout would be useful in the event.

If you change locks before Thurs you 'should' leave a notice of how they can gain access. Not your fault if after you photo that on the front door some scroat removes it.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Once they found out they were still liable for the property, they decided that they did not want to keep it heated and started to be marginally more co operative. They have now gone, we have completed the inspection and have the keys. They bought a solicitor along with them to act as a witness, which actually made the whole process a lot easier, as it kept everything calm and professional. If forgot to thank them for paying him to be there though, oops.

Archived