Council Tax, how soon?

Harry Fisher

To whoever started and runs this forum and website, thank you very much, it is very informative to someone like me having never bought to let before.

About the house I have bought to restore and rent, I became the owner two weeks ago and have heard nothing yet about Council Tax, will they get in touch with me or do I have to tell them?

And am I entitled to a free period as no one will be living in the house for a least 6 months.

Depends on your council. Some will give it free, others I know give 50% off and others still charge the full amount.

Just write or call your council tax dept and explain you completed the sale on xx/xx/xx and can they change their details to you.

• 2 months later...

Update on this, the council issued me with a bill for the council tax from Nov18 to March, nearly £400, I emailed them saying there is no one living in the house as I am renovating it, I was not holding much hope.

I got a phone call and was asked to meet a man at the house, he had a look round, agreed it was not habitable and gave me a year counil tax free to finish the work. :)

If your water is metered you will have to pay for that but I find suppliers don't bill you if the consumption is small - as in the case of a refurbishment.

Make sure you keep all your council tax documents and reference numbers as sometimes, IME different council officers assess things differently and attempt added charges.

If property is uninhabitable then expenses (to a certain degree) are allowed to make it habitable for letting purposes.

If property is uninhabitable then expenses (to a certain degree) are allowed to make it habitable for letting purposes.

Virtually ALL expenses are allowable........just not allowable against income tax.

Major refurbishment work is a capital expense and can only be offset against capital gains when the property is sold.

Even if the work includes e.g redecoration, which would normally be a revenue expense, if the majority of the refurbishment expenses are capital then it is ALL capital.

Archived