Resident's parking permit

Harry Fisher

Here's a good one for you... I bought a house last week to do up, intending to start renting it out next year, it is a street where you can only park for one hour unless you have a resident's parking permit.
So off I goes to the Town Hall with proof of ownership of house and car registration documents to get a permit.
But no the lady says I can't have one because I'm not living in it at the moment, just doing it up, "but I need to park outside!" I said in shock, "you'll have to keep moving your car" was her smug response. :o

So what if a builder or other tradesman neesd to work there?

Unbelievable?

Unfortunately not! But how unhelpful!

I would write to Town Clerk informing what you have been told, requesting terms of permit and asking what they would do if in same predicament.

Copy to local councillor (check on website).

Reserve ammunition? You might actually be helping local authority with their housing shortage!

Builders usually have large white vans with XYZ Builders written on side and park where they like or can.

Is this in London? When visiting my SW14 let I have to have 'guest' parking tickets to display on the dashboard and the wardens are coming around constantly. Visitor parking is only after 11am.

When I had major work done there in Feb I had to buy the contractors a pass so they could get on with the job!

Is this in London? When visiting my SW14 let I have to have 'guest' parking tickets to display on the dashboard and the wardens are coming around constantly. Visitor parking is only after 11am.

When I had major work done there in Feb I had to buy the contractors a pass so they could get on with the job!

No it's north west England, they said I could always pay £6 a day to park there, it's not even a busy street, I always manage to park close to the house, but am limited to one hour.

Looks like there is already a process in place and it costs £6 a day.

Seems like a great incentive to get any refurbishment completed quickly.

I'd be surprised if your legal searches didn't identify this issue before you purchased the property ?

Another thing about residents parking permits - they don't guarantee you a space! Once all the spaces are gone that is it til next time.

Near another of my lets in Bournemouth that is a hot debate at present - we get people parking from up to 0,5 of a mile away as it is one of the only roads with no restriction - the residents can't get a look in>

Builders usually have large white vans with XYZ Builders written on side and park where they like or can.

Slappety - Slap Chestnut. :D Not true ! Plumbers ( in my experience ) have to apply for a permit from the local council for parking in residential zones if they are going to be on a long job at the property. They will get a ticket if they do not display their temporary permit.

More unreasonable council policies! In my road I have to buy parking vouchers for all tradespeople who do jobs on my house. Perhaps the neighbours would be willing to buy some on your behalf and you could pay them. It depends whether they are only allowed a certain number each year.

Archived