Serving Section 21 on Periodic Tenancy

viv

Hi All

I am a fairly new Landlord needing to serve a Section 21 for repossession of a property.

The ASHT commenced on the 19th of the month expiring 18th however the ASHT has now become a Periodic Tenancy.

Am I right in thinking I can serve the Section 21(4)a as of todays date the 19th November 2013 for it to expire on the 19th January 2013.

Understand this must be served by hand by 4pm.

Please advise if correct. Thank you

Your dates seem correct but take a witness with you and get him her to sign a statement to the fact and photograph with your phone the putting through the door of the papers.

If you were not so rushed then the way to go is to make up 2 sets of identical papers and post 1st class Royal Mail from 2 different post offices - get counter 'proof of posting' receipts at each one. Do it at least 3 working days before the serving date. This method is accepted by the small claims court.

Section 21 is invalid if the deposit is not protected as Richlist indicates above.

Your notice must be of at least 2 months, expiring at midnight of the 18th of any month.

My view differs a little here as I see that you are already into the Nov/ Dec tenancy period. Service of your notice anytime from now until the 18th December would have the same effect of expiring at midnight of the 18th February 2014.

I agree with #5 though the deadline for service of papers in court proceedings (which a s21 notice is 'technically' not) is 4:30pm. Therefore a document served at 5pm on a Friday evening may be counted served on the Monday by some judges.

Archived