Letting Agents fight back against Shelter

FormulaOne

Shelter is attacking Letting Agents for charging Tenants fees. Out of interest, how many Landlords out there actually charge a tenant sign up fee etc. To be honest I think Shelter just wants rid of Letting Agents full stop as they are the biggest barrier to overcome in order to house their Tenants. Plus the Directors would rather improve on the quarter million salaries (yes, that's what charities directors earn in the modern era)

http://propertydrum.briefyourmarket.com/Newsletters/JUNGLEdrum---the-newsbeat-from-PROPERTYdrum61/Letting-agents-fees-come-under-attack-.aspx

What is classed as acceptable for fees at the start of the tenancy? We charge some of the lowest fees in our area which are 120 quid for referencing and 50 quid for a combined check in & out fee. It shows a level of commitment when paid by a tenant otherwise you could get in a situation where a tenant could apply for a number of properties with various agents at the same time.

We have a number of other small charges for pets, refs to new agents, bounced chq,s, early release charge etc. But as I have mentioned in other posts (and listed the outgoings) I do not believe a agent can do a proper full management role on 10% or lower commission only. (without fees for ref etc)

The money is in selling houses not renting them from a agents view but renting is seen as a easy option for mickey mouse businessmen (would be agents) thinking it is a easy option to start earn money from.

Archived