new investment

adonaghy

Hi, im new to forum and looking for advice. I have been considering buying a BTL property in the Glasgow East area near to where i live and work. I became an 'incidental' landlord as I retained a property I owned when I bought a new home with my partner. Seemed an ordeal at time to keep my old house, but it let out very quickly. Its a 2 bed mid terrace. I am considering remortgaging this house to buy a house/flat as the forthcoming Commonwealth games may boost the area. I intend it to be a 10-15 year investment.

Any advice on whether the games will have a good/bad influence on BTL market in the long run?

Thanks

Ann

Any advice on whether the games will have a good/bad influence on BTL market in the long run?

Just as with other major sporting events such as Wimbledon & the Olympics the C/Games will afford local home owners with an opportunity for short term lettings at a premium price. The draw back with this type of letting is that the tenants nearly always expect the property to be very well equiped and fully furnished to quality/ good hotel standards. But the opportunity is only a short one......probably just a few weeks .......and will in my opinion offer no long term benefit to landlords.

I can speak for Weymouth, Dorset where the Olympic Sailing venue is going to take place.

Rental prices for the 2 weeks of sailing of any property will be exceptional high but after that will fall back to normal.

I have friends who have rented out their 3 bed cottage home for the 2 weeks at £1000 per week. Paid and booked already by a professional couple whose Son is competing in a sailing event.

I am told that this sort of money figure is being achieved fairly easily right now.

So with that in mind and your long term bet of 10 years I doubt whether the Commonwealth Games will be any different to Weymouth and should not influence your decision.

Mel.

I can speak for Weymouth, Dorset where the Olympic Sailing venue is going to take place.

Rental prices for the 2 weeks of sailing of any property will be exceptional high but after that will fall back to normal.

I have friends who have rented out their 3 bed cottage home for the 2 weeks at £1000 per week. Paid and booked already by a professional couple whose Son is competing in a sailing event.

I am told that this sort of money figure is being achieved fairly easily right now.

So with that in mind and your long term bet of 10 years I doubt whether the Commonwealth Games will be any different to Weymouth and should not influence your decision.

Mel.

Yes I can vouch for Weymouth , I have a friend who has an old Coastguard cottage on the side of Portland Harbour who has a signed contract for £1500 per week and another friend has a block of flats at Greenhill ,Weymouth overlooking the bay which he has let the top floor to a TV company . He is paying for the tenants of the 2 flats to go on holiday and giving them a %of the rental.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived