Annual Fire Alarm Check

Grosvenor

Can anyone advise.

I have a block of 4 flats which have a mains wired fire alarm system installed; all detectore & call points are linked to a main control box.

Question is, am i required to have the system tested annually by an approved installer?

I do monthly tests myself & enter the results into a Fire Log.

Thanks in advance, Paul

If you have had a fire risk assessment done (which i assume you have) it should have some recommendations/guidance if not get one done.

Not only do you have a duty of care to the occupiers you need to also cover yourself and any liability if there is a fire. If it was me I would instruct an approved company who do testing/servicing to initially service the system and take their advise on ongoing testing. But be clear with your questions to them about what is legally required and what is good practice.  Then get a service plan in place with the company  which may be 1, 2, or 4 visits per year which will be documented. Learn how to test the system yourself which isnt hard and the fire company will also show you how and you can add these test also to the log book.  

I have certainly noticed their charges ticking up these last couple of years too.

£100 +vat to go round each flat testing each detector. (3 per flat) 15 in all with stairway. Takes about 45 minutes.

This year, they said they had to replace the two 12v 3.2amp batteries in the control panel. Nothing wrong with them, but they have to be replaced after so many years.

£30 each. (£13 delivered off ebay).  Turn the emergency lightinh on & off. Total £195 inc VAT

Seems a lot for 1 hour max. But looking another way i get £21,000 annual rental from that property, so it's peace of mind i guess....

2 hours ago, Mortitia said:

You can do this risk assessment yourself.  I do similar annually on a block of 4 .  Keeping the log is key.  I bet some fire safety company comes on here now saying different but I have yet to see any legislation on it.

I believe that is correct however I look at it with the view  that if I instruct a suitable company to do the risk assessment and there is a incident and as long as I have complied with the assessment my liability (i like to think) is greatly mitigated.

Actually, i just noticed after 15 years of Annual services the company say i now need to have it done every 6 months. So they have ramped their fee's up & also have to come twice a year now

I have asked for clarification & the relevant regulation.

Do any of you know about a possible new 'rule' here at all?

Rich: not 40%

Paul

Have done some 'Googling' & come up with this...

"UK fire alarm regulations 5839 only state that your fire alarm system must be 'adequately maintained', however BS 5839 recommends that a fire alarm system should be inspected by a competent person at least every 6 months and the government recommends following this standard"

This seems to me to be a good bit vague; 'Recommends, should, adequately maintained, competent person.'

Am finding it difficult to get to the bottom of what 'must' be done & by 'whom'.....

Paul

I think you are overthinking this. Regarding  "must' be done & by 'whom" is immaterial the question is, what you need to do to cover your arse if something goes pear shaped because the potential liability and claim against you could be huge if you get it wrong including prison. Your definition of competent may be vastly different to some clever dick barrister in a court.   So why not put that responsibility on the heads of an appropriate company and you can sleep soundly.

8 hours ago, Grosvenor said:

Actually, i just noticed after 15 years of Annual services the company say i now need to have it done every 6 months. So they have ramped their fee's up & also have to come twice a year now

I have asked for clarification & the relevant regulation.

Do any of you know about a possible new 'rule' here at all?

Rich: not 40%

Paul

Ok 20% taxpayer.  Alarm checked twice a year @ £100+vat x2 = £230 deduct 20% = £184/4 = £46 per flat

Sounds like a total bargain to me.......not worth trying to do yourself.

Go worry about something more important. 😃

Things get worse. Turns out the engineer didn't 'remember' to test the 5 Call Points. Or sign the Fire Blankets to confirm they had been checked.

The Emergency Lighting was switched off, then back on after a couple of minutes to check they stayed on with battery power. All was down as work completed on Certificate.

Now, to cap it all one of my tenants has complained as the engineer did not wear a mask.

Who'd be a flipping landlord!!

Paul

PS; am a 20% taxpayer as the income from my/our 7 properties are shared with wife, for exactly that purpose.

Have been a residential landlord since 1984, when my father passed away. It's not about the money. It's as Grampa says; I need to know my arse is well and trully covered.

Tradespeople are not required to wear masks it's optional and he is there to do a job of work.  Its the tenants job to keep

out of his way and to maintain a minimum of 2 metres between them. 

Tenants !   It's always somebody else's fault. They are responsible for their own safety. 

10 hours ago, Richlist said:

Tradespeople are not required to wear masks it's optional and he is there to do a job of work.  Its the tenants job to keep

out of his way and to maintain a minimum of 2 metres between them. 

Tenants !   It's always somebody else's fault. They are responsible for their own safety. 

My Son has been working throughout this epidemic in peoples homes as a gas heating engineer and that includes rentals. He initially is kitted up when entering the property but as mentioned occupants of that property must not be anywhere near him whilst he is working on the boiler or whatever job he is there to do.  He does not wear a face mask whilst working in clear space.

So far he has not met with any problems worth mentioning.