Tenants Forwarding Address

Richlist

Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement for a vacating tenant to provide a forwarding address ?

99% of my tenants willingly provide a forwarding address......but occasionally there is the odd one that doesn't want to. It means I can't forward mail onto them or provide the utilities & council tax with their details. I can never understand why.

I am not aware of a legal requirement for giving a forwarding address

Regarding mail our check out letter states that any mail received after vacation will be returned to the sender so we advise to put in place a re-direction with Royal mail.

We also state in the contract that they must provide an address but as you have found out not all will do so.

Regarding the utilities it never causes us a problem and as long as we give the correct dates of any change in tenancy with or without forwarding address there isn't an issue. 

I guess if you hold deposits in an insurance based scheme (kept in your bank acc) you could state in the contact it will only be returned (if any) to the forwarding address given but if someone really didn't want to give their address they would just give a friends or relations address.

In my contracts I do state that a forwarding address for the return of a deposit is an essential requirement and normally I don't have any problems with this but of course there is always one and they gave me their parents address as I later found out.

There is no legal requirement for any landlord to forward mail on.

Archived