Buildings only insurance

marcola

I'm pretty sure most people will not have a problem with an insurer until it comes to the time of making a claim. Even then, each and every claim is different and cover is always in black and white before an incident, it is usually after the event that brings it too light that there might be a gap in cover.

Always best to shop around for a few options at renewal just to check the price is "the going rate". I think the most important thing though is to compare cover. Checking things like malicious damage by tenant cover, loss of rent cover, property owners liability, etc. is probably more important than price. It is known that a few of the insurers that guarantee to price match are unable to provide like for like cover so always compare what you are getting for your money so you can make the best decision.

Looking to renew the building insurance on a couple of my properties. Just wondering which companies people use. I'm currently with Direct Line. I've never had to claim so no idea if they actually live up to their adverts!

In 2014 my own house was hit by ball lightning on the roof and caused considerable damage. I was with Direct Line and had been for but a few weeks.

I have to say they were faultless in their handling of my claim. I thought my premiums would rocket in 2015 but they didn't. Went up by £30 pa and after 3 years my no claim bonus is reinstated without penalty.. So there you are a first hand personal case of a claim through Direct Line.

The loss adjuster operating on behalf of Direct Line was just great. His advice given to me helped me a lot and work started the following day on repairs to roof and the interior of the building. I have to say we were so lucky not to be injured as we were sitting in the lounge when this lightning ball struck and filled the lounge with debris. My Grandson was sitting right next to a very large picture double glazed window and luckily this did not explode. The lightning strike travelled either side of this window before exiting out of the walls blowing plaster everywhere.

Shame I can't post photo's up.

Archived