lettings fee

shazz

i am a residential landlord aswell as an estate agent. i just charge 2 weeks rent commission on lettings thats all, 5% commision on management and a set fee for sales. does this sound any good!

Depends if you are good at your job or not. Are you?

We charge £200 admin/ref fee. they moan but if they want the property they mostly pay it. our local agents charge £180 ish.

I guess this is one of the reasons Shelter are pushing the goverment to ban letting agent fees to tenants as they do in Scotland.

I do admit its a lot.. but agents charge it and they are happy ( well maybe not) but they have to pay it to agents so I don't see why private landlords should not charge it too being as they do the same checks and contact prep the same. and all that time printing off a 14 page contract takes hours lol

A lot depends on the area being worked. I have just coughed up 8% +VAT for tenant find only in London only payable for 1 year and that was the best I could get. Most reputable agents won't do tenant find only without paying them forever with cleverly worded contracts to include rent collection - getting around previous judgements you'll note.

It has taken 4 months to get suitable tenants for that property as the young professional seems to be seriously under threat as a breed.

Meanwhile in Darzet I pay a one off payment of 3.5% for tenant find only - I do the interviewing and use my own AST - it is well worth it to screen out the DHS, fibbers and dross.

Archived