Smoke Alarms

F-Prop

Hi All,

Just been to visit one of my tenants today as they called me to say the electricity was off, turned out to be a faulty toaster but that's another story! :unsure:

Whilst I was there I discovered they had removed the batteries from both smoke alarms and switched them off at the fuse box (they are mains and battery powered) I pointed out this meant they had no smoke alarms but the tenant didn't seem bothered. She claimed they were turned off as they were faulty, but I suspect the batteries just needed changing. I offered to take a look but she told me not to bother. :angry:

Where do I stand legally on this one if there is a fire? I have provided smoke alarms but the tenant has chosen to disconnect them, should I force her to use them?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

As far as I'm aware it is not mandatory to provide fire alarms HOWEVER it is strongly advised they are installed and fully functional with a rental property obviously to safeguard your property and tenants. So you have done the right thing.

I would press the tenant to ask why she is not fussed. Sounds odd to me as it could save her life. I do know a faulty alarm can make a incessant beeping noise so I think she just needs a bit of convincing that just the batteries need replacing.

I really think you should insist on having it fixed especially if your insurance cover assumes there is a working fire alarm in the property. What if there is a fire but your claim is stalled as the alarm did not work and you didn't fix it despite knowing it wasn't working. Even worse, what if your tenant is injured or worse because of a fire.

Better to be safe than sorry!

I have lost count of the number of Tenants I have had over the years but what I do know is that in every single occupation every Tenant has not renewed the smoke alarm batteries!!!!!

I now GIVE the Tenant two batteries upon new occupation(Tax Deductable of course!) and I ask them (make them!) to sign a declaration form that the smoke alarms are tested and in working order and that they have seen them as so.

(Recent legal case where a Tenant said there were no smoke alarms fitted after the property was gutted by fire.....The Landlord said there were and that they must have been removed........ The Courts believed the Tenant!)

£5000 fine for Landlords who do not provide smoke alarms......yes! Laughable isn't it! How about a £5000 fine for Tenants who fail to take precautions to ensure the Landlords smoke alarms are fully functional during their occupation then?

Thanks Linda and Melboy... interesting points you make! I've just have another tenant move out and a new ones move in (on the same day!) and found one of the smoke alarms had a missing battery. I think tenants don't really bother with smoke alarms (probably because it's not their property if it burns down!)

Linda: I think the reason my tenants don't want smoke alarms is because they are old fashioned folk and come from a time before smoke alarms! They are not really "technology minded" You should see the house, it's full of old clutter and they don't have "gadgets" I do think I'll force the issue though, but I expect they will switch them off again as soon as I go.

I think I'll get my tenants to sign that they agree the smoke alarms are working when they move in and that it's their responsibility to check them.

Trevor.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Linda and Melboy... interesting points you make! I've just have another tenant move out and a new ones move in (on the same day!) and found one of the smoke alarms had a missing battery. I think tenants don't really bother with smoke alarms (probably because it's not their property if it burns down!)

Linda: I think the reason my tenants don't want smoke alarms is because they are old fashioned folk and come from a time before smoke alarms! They are not really "technology minded" You should see the house, it's full of old clutter and they don't have "gadgets" I do think I'll force the issue though, but I expect they will switch them off again as soon as I go.

I think I'll get my tenants to sign that they agree the smoke alarms are working when they move in and that it's their responsibility to check them.

Trevor.

Ask the local fire brigade to do a home fire safety check.

If smoke detectors are required they will fit them free of charge.

They are fitted with a 10 year battery and they record how many were fitted.

If it ends up in a court case I'm sure the fire brigades records will be suffice

Spark

Archived