tenants rights re. notice period on AST

sinnerbyname

Hi, I'm renting on an AST, coming to the end of the 6 month fixed period, and will go onto a periodic term contract. Now when I first signed the contract, it said both landlord AND tenant had to give 2 months notice. I questioned this at the time and said that my understanding was that under an AST, the tenant only has to give 1 month's notice regardless of what the contract says. The agent said that might be right but they always specify 2 months on the contracts. I signed it as it stood. Anyway, the renewal notice also says I need to give the landlord 2 months notice to terminate the periodic contract. Can i ask them to change it so that it says 1 month for me, given that this is an AST, or can they enforce the 2 month notice?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm renting on an AST, coming to the end of the 6 month fixed period, and will go onto a periodic term contract. Now when I first signed the contract, it said both landlord AND tenant had to give 2 months notice. I questioned this at the time and said that my understanding was that under an AST, the tenant only has to give 1 month's notice regardless of what the contract says. The agent said that might be right but they always specify 2 months on the contracts. I signed it as it stood. Anyway, the renewal notice also says I need to give the landlord 2 months notice to terminate the periodic contract. Can i ask them to change it so that it says 1 month for me, given that this is an AST, or can they enforce the 2 month notice?

Yes, you can. You rightly say that 1 Month is the norm. for the Tenant to give notice to the Landlord but it is becoming quite common now for 2 Months notice requirement as it is, in a lot of cases, taking 2 Months to find replacement Tenants for Landlords.

See what they say.

Archived