rent arrears

darren9659

HI THERE.AS A FIRST TIME LANDLORD I NEED SOME ADVICE.BASICALLY I HAVE LET OUT A 2BED APARMENT THROUGH A AGENT ON A 6MTH AST.I USED TENNANT FIND ONLY WITH NO RENTGUARD.THE TENNANT MOVED IN ON THE 3RD JULY THEREFORE MY NEXT MONTHLY PAYMENT SHOULD BE CLEARED BY 3RD AUGUST. SO FAR NO PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE SO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ....MUCH APPRICIATED

Not sure when the tenant moved in from your post, but I would serve a "section 21" 2 months notice right away just as a back up. (This won't be able to expire before the fixed term).

Basically just chase him for the rent without harassment to try and get the rent.

If the tenant becomes two months in arrears (his rent becomes two months in arrears when the rent is due, you do not have to wait a full two months) then you can serve a "notice seeking possession", assuming your agreement allows you to do so during the fixed term (if you are still in fixed term).

It is a good notice because it only needs to be 16 days in length, after which you can commence possession proceedings.

If you prove that (a) two months or more were owing on the day you served the notice and ( b ) two months or more are owing on the date of the court hearing, then the judge "must" give you possession without question.

The next time you let the property, you should get a home owning guarantor and do the tenancy for a 3 month fixed term not six months. This will give you much greater control and you should get your money.

Hope this helps

Adrian Thompson

Guild of Residential Landlords

www.all4landlords.com

Give the poor tenant a chance !

The rent was not due until 3rd August ..... which means that if it left the tenants bank account on THURSDAY ... then due to the UK banking system .. it is not going to appear in the Landlords bank account until Monday (7th) or Tuesday (8th).

Before you go serving section 21 and section 8 notices .... it might be worth giving the tenant chance to actually pay !

If the money doesn't show up by Tuesday then why not telephone the tenant ? Maybe there was a problem with the setting up of the standing order !!

Good heavens ..... we are providing a service to tenants ....... and not all tenants are bad payers !

Archived