cockroaches deposit

agropper

Hi after some advice if anyone has any answers !

I have had a tennant for approx 10 months who left the property recently, i had an inventry clark do the check out who reported the flat was in a very bad state of cleanliness. I had a cleaning qote of £400 (1 bed flat) however did the work myself(20 hours). the tennants also left me with a bad case of infestation of german and asian cockroaches, the pest control technicians said it was one of the worst cases he'd seen , was most probably caused by imported food and they had been breeding for up to 4 months.

I have been fumigated twice disposed of all carpets and was advised to dispose of all soft furniture (including old but formerly expensive sofa beds and reclining chairs). Its 3 weeks since he left and the flat is still unihabitable.

I wish not to return any deposit , yet the tennant is claiming he will seek legal advise if more than £300 is deducted (deposit £850). the agent who collected the rent seems to think he would win even though i will be vastly out of pocket

Has any one any advise.

thanks

tony

You can only take from the deposit the money that is owed to you for services like cleaning etc.

You have only been recommended to dispose of the furniture but I would guess it is unlikely to have any infestation of cockroaches now.

If the furniture was damaged beyound repair than that would be a different matter.

Archived