electricty meter or not?

Gerry.B

Afternoon people, just wanted to get your general opinion on this as we are new to letting.

Would you recommend having a meter fitted to the property so the tennant has to pay up front for their electric or do you just leave it to them to pay their electric bill themselves ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers Gerry.

Fitting a meter will put people off. It is more expensive for a start to purchase electric from a meter.

You are not responsible for any Tenant defaulting on non payment to the utility companies provided you have passed the meter readings and names etc. on the Tenant taking occupancy to the companies.

Thanks Melboy,

Could you clarify, is it up to me to pass on tennant details and meter readings to the utility companies when they move in/out or do you leave it with the tennant to sort out?

Would you record a starting meter reading with the tennant present and just keep a personal record of it and like wise when their lease is up?

Gerry.

I always take the meter readings with the Tenant present.

They have a copy.......I have a copy. Dated and Signed by both parties.

I made up a simple form which I use to make it easier and professional.

I always inform the Utilities Co's. myself.... asap

It is a sad indicment that today you have to do everything yourself to ensure that it is done quickly and efficiently.

Thanks Melboy,

i know what you mean. You cant trust anyone to do anything right. Another question for you. Are you still recognised by the utility company as the home owner.

I mean in general, if you phone up to enquire about something they will only discuss it with the bill payer. Would the utility company speak to me not as the bill payer but as the landlord and accept what id say was the meter reading?

cheers.

I've found that utility companies will speak to you regarding the supply to the property. They are usually more than happy to find out who they should be billing :) .

Like Melboy said, best to inform them asap. Get the readings while the new tenant is present (both sign a form). Then ring up the utilities and tell them the tenants full name, the date they moved in and the meter reading at that time.

They will still write to the tenant for them to tell them the meter reading themselves, but your phone call will be on record and so will the reading.

If there are any problems in the future you then can say everything past this reading is the new tenants responsibility, so chase them not you.

Archived