HMO licensing

yamman69

Hi,

I've just bought a house converted into 2 bedsits & 2 1 bedroom flats (all self contained) & I am trying to find out if this needs to be licensed, but can't get any joy from local housing authority.

The one query I have is with regards to the part of the legislation that mentions the 1991 building regs as everything else seems to fall outside the hmo license crfiteria.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Cheers.

I am not to sure on what you mean on this one yamman69, the 1991 building regs have nothing to do with HMO licensing, its to do with HMO definitions of self conatined flats. If the self contained flat was done after the 1991 regs it is deemed by the Housing Act 2004 as not being a HMO (excluding Part 1, HHSRS).

A licensable property is 3 storey, 2 households, 5 or more persons who share one or more of the amenities, this type of property can include a mixture of bedsits and self contained flats.

I think you are referring to the fitting of self closing Fire Doors to each flat, emergency escape apparatus, smoke alarms which the then 1991 building regs came into force to cover these items.

Your flats will have to conform to these requirements if you let them out at all.

Archived