weird old lady landlord

windsorjen

:huh:

my sister moved out of her rented house in november, the landlady lived next door, and got on very well with my sister. my sister was returning home to her home town which is 2 hours away, as she was very cut off and lonely after her long long relationship ended. as my sister was commutting twice a week on this journey (she is self employed and was working fri - mon in her home town) rushing back mon night and working up til the thursday, so you can see she was very shattered and stressed, because of this i went up with her to give the house a good old spring clean and pick up the rest of her stuff. on arriving my sister could not get into the house the landlady had changed the locks, on opening the door (she was waiting for my sister) she slung the door open, screached at her and grabbed her arm pushing her in the house saying she was a dirty cow, the place was a tip, the hoover not emptied and she had not scrubbed the walls down! :o

(my sister does not smoke). the landlady ordered me not to enter the premises so i had to stand there at the door, hearing this mad old lady screaching at the top of her voice and i mean SCREACH!!!! i decided to tape this on my phone, she must have realised i was going to do something because she then allowed me to enter, the place was not untidy, all it required was the hoover going round, we explained that is why we were both there, to pack the car, and then spring clean, you cant tidy around boxes!.. any way we decided because of the commoction and screaming this woman was doing and the front door still being wide open the best thing to do was keep quiet, pack and leave, she is in her 90's we did'nt want her blaming us for a heart attack or anything :blink: sorry this is a bit long......

the landlady had a handy man who was doing up the other side of the house, it was a beautiful 3 story house, which was blocked of so my sister only had access to 1 bedroom, lounge and 2 floors, this man was always paid in cash, and the landlady was paid this way also, when my sister left for good that day, and calmed down with a stiff drink of brandy for both of us! (obviously after we had driven the 2 hours home) she realised she had not had her deposit, i told her to write to the landlady, she did and had no reply,, she then sent another letter to her, stating that if she did not return her security she would take her to the small claims court, and inform the taxman of probebly illegal earnings for her and her friend. it is now july, has my sister left it too late, i want her to pursue this matter, as i am now starting at renting and i would never treat anyone like that. :lol:

IF THE LANDLADY WANTS TO KEEP THE DEPOSIT SHE SHOULD PUT IT IN WRITING WHY WITH A BEAKDOWN OF THE COSTS AND PROOF. IF SHE DOESNT REPLY TO A WRITEN REQUEST SENT BY RECORDED DELIVERLY I WOULD TAKE HER TO THE SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

EVEN IF SHE DOES THEN GIVE WRITTEN BREAKDOWN OF COSTS, DISPUTE IT THRO SMALL CLAIMS.

NOW I THINK BUT IM NOT TOO SURE BUT IF YOU CLAIM IN YOUR AREA WHICH MIGHT BE A LONG WAY FROM WHERE THE L/LADY LIVES, SHE HAS TO COME TO YOU WHICH MIGHT BE SUCH A INCONVEINACE SHE MAY PAY UP.

AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS YOUR MONEY TIL PROVED OTHERWISE.

Get your Sister to write to the Landlady and say that if her deposit is not paid back within 7 days you will take two courses of action

1. Inform the Tax Authorities about the cash for rent that has been paid.

2. Start legal proceedings through the small claims court for her money to be returned.

If nothing happens......then do it.......nothing to lose has She.

Hi

I am sorry to hear of your sisters situation.

As a Chartered Tax Adviser I must say that irrespective of the deposit dispute, that if you believe that 'Little Old Lady Landlord' is not declaring the income she makes, you should report her.

As a tax adviser I seek to help people plan in such a way that they can mitigate tax - this is called 'tax avoidance' and perfectly legal. If the landlord is not declaring her rental income then this is 'tax evasion' and is a criminal offense.

I would suggest that you make an anonimous report -

https://www.taxevasionhotline.co.uk/

I hope your sister is able to get her deposit back.

Regards

Sherena

(Plym 77)

Archived