Property Requirements

HP2004

Hi,

I have found a property I would like to buy to let. There is a bathroom (bath and sink) accessible from the kitchen, however you then have a hallway from the kitchen to get to the toilet in a different room.

Are there any requirements as to how near a bathroom (or just a toilet room) can be to the Kitchen (e.g. number of doors, distance etc) if you are planning to rent a property?

Any help appreciated.

You are supposed to have two doors separating the kitchen and the bathroom or the kitchen and the toliet. Alot of older houses don't. Personally the hallway would be enough visually to break the toilet from the kitchen. But if the bathroom is directly off the kitchen then it is technically illegal. Whether or not anyone will worry about this is another matter. If the kitchen is directly off the bathroom, i would personally leave it, but it's up to you. You could probably still let it, however it may put some people off. Meaning that the quality of your tenant market may be subsequently reduced.

Hi Reg,

Thanks for the advice. we are able to install a sink into the toilet room, do you know if this would make any difference, given the sink in the bathroom would then not be used?

Also could anyone tell me the association / body / legal organisation that details requirements such as this?

Thanks.

I can confirm the regulations about doors etc between w.c. and kitchens has changed. However there must be means to wash hands prior to entering the kitchen - and without re-reading the regs I think it has to be running water, so no jug and bowl!

Does the toilet have an opening window or fan for ventilation, as I believe this is also part of the new regs.

Just checked building regs amended 2000, a door must separate a room containing a wc and a food prep / washing up area, and there must be a hot and cold water supply within the wc room , or it can be located in an adjacent room as long as its not a kitchen!!

Planning /building regs. re bathroom/ toilet is not a retrospective requirement.

If it is existing it is not a problem.

Yes, it had to be two doors seperation but if your property doesn't have 2 doors it is not a problem.

After 7 years no planning authority is that much interested in the problem anyway.

Archived