Property Inspections??

Rhod_TT

After talking with a friend about him having house inspection by his landlord every month (while he was a student) and seeing the state of the house I now let, I'm considering introducing house inspections for my tennants. My 5 'student' tennants are on a joint contract and I know that two of them are not happy about the way the other three treat the shared property.

I'm trying to find out what I could inspect for on a monthly basis - state-of-repair (including stained carpets etc.), safety, risk.

I know I can't inspect for clenliness directly but I want to encorage a cleaner environment (it was spotless when they moved in) and was hoping that inspecting for items such as carpet stains, means the floors get cleaned every so often.

What makes this difficult is that they are also my friends (one of them is a very close friend from university - but he's one of the two above).

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

You can inspect your property as often as you like. Although more than twice a month may borderline on harassment. All you need to do is given written notice 24 hours before you inspect. Out of courtesy, perhaps knock first, if no reply enter by yourself. You don't have to pander to them with reasons why you want to inspect so often, it's your property and you are entitled to make sure it is looked after at all times

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nugget

Are you saying that we can enter the property if they aren't in?

What I mean is - you send them notification of date to inspect, they don't acknowledge, you turn up on said date and enter property?

P.s. I'm a new landlord, and am learning the ropes through this forum.

You cannot enter unless the Tenant(s) is present. (Emergencies only).

Inspections once a Month is OK if you have reason to believe the 'Young Ones' have taken over your Flat. If your not happy about the cleaniless and condition then tell them so and write a letter and keep a copy.

Archived