Abandonment

robjob

Can you help. My tenants apear to have abandoned the property in the last couple of days. I have looked through the windows, all the furniture is gone and only bags of junk seem to be left. The garden is full of rubbish. The shorthold tennancy came to an end a few days ago. They had said that they wanted to continue but had not paid last months rent (or this months now due), to which I had written to them about twice and was just about to issue a section 8. I am unable to contact them. I know where they work but am told they are on annual leave for the next two weeks. Please advise

Presumably you still have the deposit money.

Depending on the wording in your Tenancy Contract depends on whether you may seek to obtain the property back under any abandonment clause. 21 or 28 days is the normal span of time for repossessing if no contact can be made.

You need to enter the property under the pretext of unable to make contact to carry out essential repair (ie overflowing toilet cistern outlet pipe or similar) and assess the situation to see if there is any liklyhood of anyone coming back....personally I doubt it but you have to be prepared for the unexpected.

Archived