Trouble with Letting Agent

hampton

I have been with my letting agent for about 6 years. Mt previous tenants were in the property for 5 years with no problems. A new couple moved last year with 2 young children. Shortly after, he lost his job but his partner went back to work. As I was receiving the rent regularly, I was not aware that there were any more problems. I then received a letter last week telling me that they had fallen behind with their rent and the letting agency was stopping payments to me until they had paid off their arrears.

When I phoned the agency they informed me that the arrears were £1500 and the couple had agreed to pay so much extra per month in addition to the housing benefit now being paid direct to the agents. I said to the agent that this could take months and asked them where I stood as far as getting my money. The owner of the agency advised me to get a bank loan!! Why on earth should I do this to subsidise someone I don't even know. I have visited the couple in the property and they said they have already paid off £600 and are taking a loan to pay the rest. Where does this leave me with the agent and can I change the agent when this has been resolved? I feel I've been badly let down by them as they are at fault for letting this debt build up so much.

Another classic case of a cr@p letting agent who doesn't have a clue what is going on within his/her own Empire. How many times do we hear or read about situations such as this?

Why should you suffer for their total mishandling of your property rental income whilst they had the obligation to ensure that they served you as they were being paid for their service provision?

Small Claims Court would be my first enquiry against these/this Letting Agent.

Archived