changing agents

Poohbear

we've been letting for 6 months now and the agent has made an error with the rent every month, which I have had to sort out - including not depositing the rent in our account for the first month! We want to DYI, but need to know if the rental agreement, signed by the agent on our behalf (we live abroad) remains valid or whether we would need to make a new rental agreement directly with the tennant. Anyone else out there ditched an agent ? Any tips? Our tenant, a mature woman, has been in the property since 2001 and is happy there. We have capable family near to help deal with the property for us. Any comments on successful DIY are welcome!

Thanks

Poohbear

Prepare a new Tenancy Agreement. The free AST contract download on this Website is more than satisfactory for your requirements.

Ditching a bad Agent is fairly straightforward as long as you do it writing outlining your reasons why and keep a copy of the letter. Make sure you are not breaking any LA/Landlord Contract though, especially if money is involved.

thank you for that. How does the timing work? Get a new agreement signed with the tennant before terminating (painful!) the agent? or Try to get them in sync, contract with agent ending 31st of month and contract with T starting on 1st of following month?

The agent presently holds the deposit and one months rent - would this be handed to us or returned to the tennant by the agent? Is that the usual sum to hold (equivelent of 2 months rent)? The agent deposited rent in our account twice last month (!) which I need to repay them, plus they did not deduct tax from the rent one month which I will also refund them. This gives me some 'security' in obtaining the remaining sum from them for deposit -- if they are supposed to hand the funds to us. If not, then obviously will refund him asap.

have you any knowledge about the above? Thanks for your help.

thanks for your reply - but can't see that it was offering anything other than suggesting I sign up with your agency! As I negotiated an 8% full management fee with the present agent, which is what you are offering ............ Is advertising allowed in the forum?

Archived