What deposit to put down for a BTL mortgage?

geek84

Hi Folks

When purchasing a buy to let property, is it best to pay as much deposit up front and pay off the rest via monthly mortgage payments or pay the minimum deposit and use your surplus funds sitting in the bank, earning minimum interest, to buy another property to let?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Well try this example Richlist - it relates to someone in my family who is not a UK taxpayer except on income from this BTL.

Person has 120 K on deposit earning peanuts. Found BTL at 115K but bank will happily lend 60K+ at 4.2% over 13 years, fixed for first 2 years.

BTL would generate income of £600 - 650 pcm.

All answers welcome and it might help Geek

There is still not enough detail to run a comparison.......I try not to make assumptions if I can.

The 120K in savings could be producing virtually nothing due to poor investment choices or £3500 + on term deposits/ tax free accounts.

The bank may have arrangement fees, the property may need money spent on it before letting, there may be set up costs of the BTL, the property may be leasehold, the landlord may need to employ an agent & contrators as they are not hands on etc etc etc......

OK Richlist - arrangement fee with bank is £995. Property needs £4K spending to make perfect - needs DG and a few small touches.

I will be the agent for free and it is leasehold with ground rent of £50 pa. I intend to try to negotiate to buy freehold for the 20 odd properties that are on the same freehold eventually - if it all goes ahead.

OK......I'll use your figures and make some assumptions...

* Your family member could get £3500 from their 120K cash investment.....risk free.

* The property lets at £600pcm / £7200 pa

* Mortgage costs are £60K @ 4..2% = £2520pa and £60K @ 5.2% after 2 years = £3120pa

* Service charges are £1000pa

* Ground rent at £50

* Plus.......any repairs & maintenance, freeholder permissions, utilities during voids, renewals & replacements, postage,, telephone, books/publications/ subscriptions, cleaning materials, stationary, bank charges, rent guarantee insurance, EPC cert, gas cert, electrical checks, deposit protection, rent guarantee & landlord insurance, advertising, consumables and all the other expenses I have forgotten.

* Income tax

I'd suggest after expenses, your family member would be getting a smaller return.... ie less than £3500..... than if they had left their money invested in the banks.

Properties selling for around £115K and generating rental income of £600-£650 pcm are '10 a penny' in my area....... they don't need £4K spent on them and almost certainly aren't distressed sales. I don't consider any of them make particularly good investments.

If you are expecting increases in capital value then you may have a long wait......2007 was the peak of the market and virtually all property values have dropped since then.

The point I'm trying to make is that often people looking to buy property to rent don't consider all of the costs........I haven't even touched on making provision for redecoration every few years, provision for bad debt or loss of income or additional costs if you get a tenant from hell.

The reason many of the established landlords are doing well with BTL is that we bought the same properties when they were considerably cheaper than they are now and have mortgages at 0.5 % above base.

You dont supply enough information for a meaningful response. There are so many variables. What is your game plan? Interst only or repayment mortgage? Buy through a company or as a private individual? what is your attitude to risk? the list goes on and on. You need to speak to a broker who is experienced in BTL so that you can go through all the details so that you will have enough info to make an informed decision. Detail is everything. PM me if you want to discuss.

Archived