Section 8 or 21

Antnkel

Serve both but not together.

You will be able to act on the S8 first but if you chose not to or the tenant brings the arrears under 2 months you can fall back on the s21 after the 2 months notice..

I guess a tenant could say one of the notices wasnt in there. I agree there is no legal reason not too but it could give your case more credibility if done separately if you get a tricky tenant.

The down side is you could get out sending out 8 letters if you had a couple on the tenancy as it is advisable to send a notice to each named tenant and as the standard practise is to send 2 for each notice (one with proof of posting and another by recorded)that is a lot of stamps.

But you would be hard pushed to get a judge to believe a tenant saying they didnt recieve it.

I hope your solicitor has an understanding of housing law and not a conveyancing solicitor who is a bit short of work.

I have had to pick up the pieces for landlords who have used a high st conveyancing solicitor play at housing law and served notices incorrectly, filled out incorrectly, no knowledge of the deposit laws and implications on a s21.

That is no disrespect to forum member LAW who know his stuff in spades and has been a big asset to this forum..

I also acknowledge a lot of letting agents don’t know their arse from their elbow either.

Archived