Need to sell house

Izzywhizz

I have rented my house out to family. I put an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement in place but at the time everything was rosy and I stupidly thought that I would never have to sell my house. With that thought in mind i didn't put a fixed term on the agreement, instead it shows as ongoing from the date they moved in.... Now i know i need a section 21 but im now unsure if the agreement is classed as fixed term or periodic... any help would be appreciated before i go and face them armed with wrong info as im 99% sure i will have a fight on my hands. I don't want to sell it with my family in situ as they don't pay anything near what they should for interested parties to see the house would be a good prospect for them. Thanks

Well as a AST can only be for 2 years unless drawn up as a deed, if they have been there longer I would think you could safely assume it is now periodic. I would also take a punt and say a court would class it as periodic after 12 months, 6 months could be questionable.

I would also suggest you use a generic s21 that can be used for either fixed term or periodic tenancies.

Archived