Carpets from 1970s rotten, infested, worn - does landlord need to replace?

Miss King

Hello, I've several issues with my landlord so I'll post them separately. I have rented this property since Oct 2005. When I moved in the place was in very poor decorative order. All the carpets were damaged by previous tenants (candle wax, cigarette burns, bad stains) and were filthy. I found carpet beetles (yuk!). I cleaned the carpets using a machine which I had to rent. I regularly and thoroughly vacuum to keep these critters away.

Some of the carpets date from at least the 1970s and the stair carpet is so worn that I have to use gaffer tape over the splits on the stairs. We have slipped and tripped on the holes - my son went from top to bottom when he was 4 and I recently did same, injuring my hip.

The landlord has talked about replacing the carpets (amongst all the other problems this property has) for years and nothing happens. They are dangerously worn and I believe they are a health hazard.

What should I do? Do I have the right to get the carpets replaced by him?

• 3 weeks later...

When I lived in London two years ago, I lived in a rental. The only thing that saved me from paying for a carpet which had a stain on it from before I moved in, was the fact that I hired independently a professional inventory clerk in London from that company. The stain was really small, but the landlord insisted that I pay for it. Lucky for me, the inventory clerk had written in his moving in report that the stain was there before I moved in. So, what I learned from my renting experience is that the inventories are really important and can save you a lot of trouble. smile.gif Otherwise, the landlord should replace carpets like that, because usually he has to maintain a certain minimum of living standard. :)

Archived