carbon monoxide

jan1

Taken from the health and safety executive website

Since 31 October 1998, any room converted to use as sleeping accommodation should not contain the following types of gas appliances:

1. A gas fire, gas space heater or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) over 14 kilowatts gross input unless it is room sealed.
  2. A gas fire, gas space heater, or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) of 14 kilowatts gross input or less or any instantaneous water heater unless it is room sealed or has an atmosphere-sensing device.
If a room contains one or more of the above appliances and was used as a bedroom prior to 1998 then you will need to do a risk assessment to determine if it can still be used as a bedroom

So maybe a risk assessment should be the way forward for you. I personally would not allow a bedroom with a boiler to be used as a bedroom as you hear such horror stories. They are usually housed in a box room which usally means the room is occupied by children. If nothing else you should check that using such a room does not negate any landlord insurance you might have.

If you have a gas safety cert done and it wasn't legal the plumber shouldn't have signed it off.

I would say it is good practice and shows a duty of care if you did have carbon Monoxide fitted. I would even use a different plumber for the next cert as a second opinion.

Taken from the health and safety executive website

Since 31 October 1998, any room converted to use as sleeping accommodation should not contain the following types of gas appliances:

1. A gas fire, gas space heater or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) over 14 kilowatts gross input unless it is room sealed.
  2. A gas fire, gas space heater, or a gas water heater (including a gas boiler) of 14 kilowatts gross input or less or any instantaneous water heater unless it is room sealed or has an atmosphere-sensing device.
If a room contains one or more of the above appliances and was used as a bedroom prior to 1998 then you will need to do a risk assessment to determine if it can still be used as a bedroom

So maybe a risk assessment should be the way forward for you. I personally would not allow a bedroom with a boiler to be used as a bedroom as you hear such horror stories. They are usually housed in a box room which usally means the room is occupied by children. If nothing else you should check that using such a room does not negate any landlord insurance you might have.

hi everyone,

the rented property i have a tenant in has the boiler in the third bedroom, the boiler is only 4yrs old, is it a must that i have a carbon monoxide detecter put in that room?

thanks for any replies.

Also taken from the HSE site but I suppose it all boils down to commonsense. I work on the principal that if the ###### hits the fan can I state & prove that I took all available & reasonable steps to ensure the safety of my tenants.

HSE strongly recommends the use of CO alarms as one useful precaution to give tenants advance warning of CO in the property. Importantly alarms should not be regarded as a replacement for regular maintenance and safety checks by a Gas Safe registered engineer external.gif. CO alarms cost between £20-£30 and can be purchased in most hardware shops. Before purchasing a CO alarm, always ensure it complies with British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, such as a Kitemark. CO alarms should be installed and maintained in line with the manufacturer's instructions.

Archived