tenants wants deposit back

Guest tenants_from_hell

Guest tenants_from_hell

DSS nonsense - tenant moved in last month, failed to pay the first months rent of £475, paid the £475 deposit. Found out the tenant is claiming DSS on another property and hasnt told the other landlord he is moving out, so its been taking ages for me to get any money from DSS (havnt got any yet) and it always pushes forward week after week. Apparently this is not benefit fraud.

However, I will not be getting paid, ask the tenant to leave they are getting jumpy, and are saying they will only "move out" if they get the deposit back, yet they owe me a months rent..

Any advice? The govt has messed it up, landlords need to be in charge not idiotic chavs who can't even speak properly abusing the benefit system.

Guest tenants_from_hell

I dont think I did for that one I am going to been bit unwell.

Is there any complications?

Is there any free deposit protection schemes? Very hard to find many deposit protection schemes..

Here's a really useful piece of advice for you......

The rules say you must protect the deposit and there are other rules as well such as needing to have an EPC, fire safety labels, gas cert etc.

Your tenant may be trying to take you for a ride but if you haven't protected the deposit and issued the appropriate notice you haven't followed the correct process.

There are lots of good books available if you aren't sure of how to go about letting property correctly.

Good luck.

Guest tenants_from_hell

Yes I got gas and electric certs etc.

Its the whole government that has messed things up no wonder no one wants housing benefit imbeciles!

Yes I got gas and electric certs etc.

Its the whole government that has messed things up no wonder no one wants housing benefit imbeciles!

I don't take benefits tenants and I find things are running superbly for me, I certainlly don't see the Government as having screwed much up, in fact quite the opposite. Along with the tax benefits, each of the last few budgets have all left me better off.Long live the recession.

Guest tenants_from_hell

They have, my local council are saying we only pay the landlord direct if the tenant owes in 8 weeks of rent. We aint made of money we have mortgages and maintenance as well!!

The landlord should be paid directly in all cases, its absolutely a joke!

Furthermore, its 30 working days aint it to register a deposit? (another pathetic cost...which probably goes in the tenants favour)

Guest tenants_from_hell

they told me today they went to citizens advice and apparently the 2 landlords are prosecutable despite its not our fault the tenant was claiming for 2 properties. I will be returning the deposit to save the hassle and find new tenants.

Can I reclaim this from the council?

Guest tenants_from_hell

Update, the council are willing to pay for the rent. However, am just concerned the tenants might want to pursue this further as they will be not getting a months rent for the other landlord!!

They are petty and may want to claim costs for decorating which was done on their own free will!

Archived