Do all Assured Statutory Tenancies convert into a Statutory Periodic Tenancy, even if no 'rolling' clause?

pineriver

I am letting through an agent, and the AST, that I and the tenants have signed, does _not_ have a 'rolling' clause saying that the agreement continues on a monthly basis if it is not renewed after the end of the fixed term. At the end of the fixed term, even though there is no 'rolling' clause, does the agreement automatically in law become a periodic one?

I assumed that it was a legal/statutory fact that all ASTs would automatically convert into a periodic one, even if the agreement document doesn't mention it, but another thread here:

http://residentialla...?showtopic=3339

seems to suggest that it only converts into a periodic tenancy if the agreement has a 'rolling' clause.

So, do all Assured Statutory Tenancies convert into a Statutory Periodic Tenancy at the end of the fixed term, even if there is no 'rolling' clause?

Thanks for any input.

Edit: The title should be "Assured Shorthold" not "Assured Statutory"!

If a tenant remains in occupation after expiry of the AST it automatically becomes a statutory periodic tenancy. This arises automatically under statute and does not require any specific clause for it to take effect.

Alternatively it could become a contractual periodic tenancy but that would require it to be agreed as part of the contract.

Archived