Attic Bedroom

Habygirl

Hi

My tenant wants to use the boarded attic in the property as a bedroom, but the only access is via loft ladders. There is plenty of room in the attic and electric, but I am not sure if it is legal from a health and safety point of view as the only access is via loft ladders.

Many thanks in advance!

If the loft area is not excluded from the tenancy then you have little control over this.

Can you clarify why access is 'safe' for one purpose, but not for another? Are you perhaps suggesting that access to the loft is a H&S issue anyway?

I would write to the tenant, pointing out that the property was advertised as a X bed house and that those bedrooms are located X, Y & Z. Advise the tenants that the loft is not suitable as a bedroom as a fixed staircase is not provided. That's about all you can do to cover your behind! If tenants do decide to use the loft, I would serve a s21 and get them out ASAP - better a tenant change than a court case.

For your next tenant I would remove the loft ladder (then how they choose to get to the loft is their responsibility) and/or specifically exclude the loft from the tenancy.

The hard truth is that it is not legal to use a domestic loft as a bedroom unless it meets the strict building standards for converted lofts/attics.

You will invalidate your property insurance which will not pay out in the event of a claim especially if the tenant falls off your temporary access ladder or for any other reason.

Loft conversions also require permanent stairs with handrail and upper safety balustrade plus self closing fire door to bedroom plus a means of escape from the roof void plus roof insulation etc. etc.

Write to your tenant and keep a copy of the letter that for the following reasons you do not permit the loft to be used as a bedroom for health and safety reasons etc. etc.

Mel.

This may be more straightforward than it would seem. I use www.n-l-c.info. They charge £60 a year and provide a 24 hour helpline you can use as many times as you need. Try them. Website not the easiest to navigate but the help is first class in my experience. Clxk on "services" 4th button on left.

This may be more straightforward than it would seem. I use www.n-l-c.info. They charge £60 a year and provide a 24 hour helpline you can use as many times as you need. Try them. Website not the easiest to navigate but the help is first class in my experience. Clxk on "services" 4th button on left.

Just say no! I have had a quick look at that n-l-c website, its nothing special there are better and cheaper sites out there, and do you really want to support an outfit that pays part of its profits to Shelter who do their best to thwart landlords at every turn.

Archived