Smart meters

Mortitia

A tenant contacted me the other day to say British Gas had called to fit a smart meter for dual fuel and could not because of some irregularity with the electric supply into the property.

Property is a block of 4 Edwardian flats. It was not clear from tenant whether they asked for the meter or B,Gas was insisting on it. I could see a situation developing where only B. Gas could supply the property or we end up with multiple meters stuck all over the walls for differing companies, (I allow tenants to choose own supplier).

I told tenant not to allow any messing with meters as per AST but I was shocked to find online that these meters are thought to be the cause of cancer and other health problems (mainly in the US) due to the constant flow of radiowaves from the meter.

Here there seem to be many complaints of irregular and inaccurate readings.

Has anyone had any experience of these meters or of suppliers fitting them without landlord consent?

Mortitia

My understanding is that the law says that a tenant with a tenancy agreement of 12 months or more CAN change to an energy supplier of their choice without needing the landlords permission.

Tenancy agreements of less than 12 months only require a landlords permission to change supplier if stated in the agreement.

Archived