Increasing the rent

MikeAngelo

I'm a bit of a reluctant landlord in that a friend of mine was homeless so with the help of a loan I bought a small flat in London in 1995 for him to live in.

He became unemployed in 2005 and began claiming housing benefit (he's never worked since, and is now 66). At first the Council increased the rent the following year, but since April 2006 the rent has stayed the same.

It's currently £130.40 per week, and I'm intending to inform the local Council I'm increasing it to £150. I have 2 questions:

1. Is the jump too much (i.e. all in one go - it's still way below the market rent for the area [Northolt]).

2. Is there a standard format I should use for writing to the council?

Thanks for any help.

I would round it down to 165. Also remember the rent may only be able to be increased on a certain day or month each year and if missed the council may not increase until that date comes round again. Phone up the council and ask the question.

• 2 weeks later...

I would round it down to 165. Also remember the rent may only be able to be increased on a certain day or month each year and if missed the council may not increase until that date comes round again. Phone up the council and ask the question.

I have a T who is living with his wife in a 3 bed house. Has been for 10 years. He is paying me £150 short of what I charge. According to your link I should be getting £80 more a month. How do I appeal? Shall I get him a rent increase request or do I give that to the council?

Archived