Kitchen Draw Damage

chris winters

Hi all, Hope you all had a great xmas?

I have just become a Landlord renting my first property out, so as you can image I’m little green on the do's and dont’s

I've looked through the forum but cannot see anything that answers my question.

I just received an e-mail from my agent advising me that the kitchen draw front has just fallen off. 2 questions really.

1. At what point does the Tenant come responsible for his/her actions... i.e. have you broken this?

2. Should I advise the tenant that they should pay for this to be repaired?

My thinking is that the tenant can break what he/her likes then just ring up and say..”.oh this is broken now”....how did it break tenant....”oh I was swinging on the lamp shade like a chip while interacting with my girl friend” Don’t think so!

Apologies for the rant...just gets on my blank

Thanks

Chris

That question cannot be answered without knowing the circumstances.....eg how did it fall off, is it a design fault, is it failure of the fixing, was it not attached securely in the first place.

Refixing a draw front can be an easy job but depends on the draw design.

I suggest either you, your agent or a trusted handyman go view the parts and then handle accordingly. Many people will not admit to breakages if there are other options or proof of their actions is unavailable.

So, if there is no proof the tenants caused it then its down to you to get it fixed.

Welcome to the crazy world of landlording.

1325242834' post=17979]

Hi all, Hope you all had a great xmas?

I have just become a Landlord renting my first property out, so as you can image I'm little green on the do's and dont's

I've looked through the forum but cannot see anything that answers my question.

I just received an e-mail from my agent advising me that the kitchen draw front has just fallen off. 2 questions really.

1. At what point does the Tenant come responsible for his/her actions... i.e. have you broken this?

2. Should I advise the tenant that they should pay for this to be repaired?

My thinking is that the tenant can break what he/her likes then just ring up and say..".oh this is broken now"....how did it break tenant...."oh I was swinging on the lamp shade like a chip while interacting with my girl friend" Don't think so!

Apologies for the rant...just gets on my blank

Thanks

Chris

It is up to your letting agent to state the responsabilitys in the tenancy agreement this way there will be no confusion as who is responsible and who is liable for anything. If for what forever reason this is not stipulated then unfortunately you as a landlord will be responsible for all repairs. Therefor it pays to have this in their tenancy.

It is up to your letting agent to state the responsabilitys in the tenancy agreement this way there will be no confusion as who is responsible and who is liable for anything. If for what forever reason this is not stipulated then unfortunately you as a landlord will be responsible for all repairs. Therefor it pays to have this in their tenancy.

Absolute rubbish.

If tenants break things then they are responsible for the cost of repair or replacement.

Its the proof that is the problem, not the responsibility for the costs.

Archived