Cheapest Fixed repair boiler cover

axil23

So my Combi guy has given up on one of the boilers as he can't figure out what the problem is without changing 2 parts which will cost around £300.

I was thinking it would be better to go in for a fixed price repair but after surfing the net for a good couple of hours I didn't come across any decent options other then British Gas. Am I missing out on any?

How old is the combi?

This is the approach I take as I don't do boiler insurance - they always seem to find a way of not paying up and leaving tenants in the cold for ages while their bod turns up - and what guarantee have you got that he/she is a competent engineer?

Always fit the same well known make of boiler in every property (varies on size obviously) and use same engineers. They tell me that once a boiler gets to 12 years old it can get too expensive to repair so replace it if it gives repeated trouble.

On one occasion out of 9 properties over 15 years I have had a boiler (not my usual make) that at just outside the guarantee period needed a new heat exchanger and other bits so gave in to plumber and replaced it.

I hate complaining tenants and this method gives me peace of mind. I hate running things on a shoestring where boilers are concerned.

Does that help? Maybe not.......

Mortitia

What are your boiler problems? What make and model of boiler?

I may be able to help.

If it is a well known model then contacting the technical help department is worth while for info.

Combi's can be difficult but any good heating engineer should be able to be fairly precise on what requires replacing etc.

Mel.

OK, BG are expensive, but I've found their service excellent - always within 24 hours response and back as soon as possible if parts 'not on van'. Cover includes annual service of everything heated by gas through to taps, LL certificate, and repairs.

The other resort is to call boiler manufacturer's customer service - you can cause quite a stir this way. It might be a design or common fault they'd rather you didn't know about! Make sure you have serial number available.

Archived