Council Tax

tbman

HI There,

Can any one advise, I am thinking of buying a buy to let flat (in Scotland), and was wondering what the situation is if you go for a period where the flat is not rented. What happens with the council tax. Do you get an amount of time exempt where you dont need to pay it, or do you need to start paying it straight away and is there something about it being unfiurnished or furnished, any advice would be appreciated, please bearing in mind I am in Scotland, I dont know if the laws differ south of the border. Thanks in anticipation.

Hello

The laws and rules on renting differ in England and Scotland

Equally council tax rules differ from one authority to another.

In England there are excemptions , normally for unfurnished, empty properties but each authority has its own time limits and qualifications.

Your best bet is to call the local authority and ask, or look on their website for where your property is situated.

You will be able to get a definite answer from them

Generally speaking, you are allowed 6 months without paying council tax but you have to prove that it is unfurnished, lease showing it was let unfurnished, delivery van receipt and proof that you paid council tax in your own house. Although councils have exemption forms that get filled in once the flat is occupied again it is best to let them know as soon as the property becomes empty.

Archived