Tenancy Agreement

Hairy Pete

Hi Pete,

You could just remove all references to a deposit when you download an AST template - they are quite easy to alter.

Only you can decide if deposit taking is for you or not. Since I've just confiscated £1035 off one for unpaid rent I know which side I am on.

Mortitia

I'm with Mortitia in that after I stopped taking deposits because of the extra chew I now take them again and lodge with the DPS.

I wouldn't waste my time defending with the DPS but see the deposit as some incentive for a T to behave.

When I preferred not to take deposit my AST just showed 'Deposit taken NIL, and the 1st statement supported this.

why not try the new deposit scheme?

I take deposits and lodge with DPS, find their website really easy to use and have never had any hassle getting money back from deposit for unpaid rent or damage.

my experience is that if it is a good tenant, they will agree to your (reasonable) deductions, when it is a bad tenant who skips town with out paying last month's rent, they don't bother to reply to DPS, leaving you able to make a single claim. ok so you have to go to your local solicitor for 10 mins and fork out a fiver for them to witness your claim but better that than lose a month's rent.

Archived