Deposit transfer

madijones

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help with advice please....

I rented my property through an agent who I am no longer on speaking terms with for a series of "doggy" issues.. and consequenty we ended our agreement. I took over the managing of the property myself with a new contract between me and the tenant.

The tenants deposit was placed in the DPS by the agent and so I set up an account in the belief that the money will be transferred to my account, which I now find out the DPS won't do without permission from the agent to release the money. A letter was sent to the agent but he won't sign it over to me so what can `i do? He's no longer looking after my property and the money doesn't belong to him, yet I can't get anyone to understand such a simple request!

Any thoughts??

The deposit legally belongs to the tenant.You could use your own funds to protect the deposit in your name then the dps may release the deposit to you. Speak to them and ask them. You also could get a solicitor to write a letter to the agent.

Madi - you may not be on speaking terms with the agent but have you ended your contract with him/her in a proper manner? Could this be the reason they are holding the deposit details?

If agent won't comply get tenant to write to DPS saying what has happened and ask for his deposit back. Since it is his money they should respond to that.

Mortitia

Archived