Repair pending

Irina

Good evening.

We had a leak in the ceiling of our leasehold property. We notified our management company about the problem and when the flat becomes available to start working on it. It was 3rd of May. Since then no work has been done. Somebody came and had a look at it but couldn't find the problem. Then we had to wait two weeks till a relevant person came from vacation. Now eventually they seem to have found the problem (minor and dealt with within one day, according to them), but more than a month on, they don't do anything about it. Calling them results in new assuranses and new dates. Trying to press them for date or some certainty at least only brings about shirty responce. We already lost at least a month rent and no work has been done. True, they made a huge hole in the ceiling (an hour's work, in the presence of my husband), but nothing apart from that. Before they replied to e-mails. Today's e-mail has remained unanswered. We'll call them tomorrow again but I don't see how it'll help.

I am really exasperated by the senseless delays. Do we have any rights? Can we complain to anybody and if so, then to who? What , if anything can be done in this situation?

Thank you.

I don't fully understand your problem. Is it your flat that has the leak in the ceiling? Are you the leaseholder ? Is it currently vacant ? Why can't you let it and tell the tenants the repairs are in hand ? Aren't leaks normally the leaseholders responsibility to fix ?

Not sure why my post is not clear, sorry if it is. I posted in landlord section. It's a flat that I rent out, yes, I am the leaseholder. I can't rent it because there's a big hole in the ceiling and as I explained I don't really know when it gets repaired. It leaks in the condition it is now. Plus, it's impossible to repair the hole with people living there. Who will want a stucco falling on heir furniture? Management company has accepted that it' their responsibility to get it fixed and their expense, too. Really don't want to get into details why. Has to do with outer roof which is a communal area and covered by the insurance we pay collectively.

OK thanks for the clarification.

I guess the expectation is that repairs will be handled quickly and efficiently. The reality is that unless a problem is perceived as an 'emergency' then progress is usually considerably slower. In your shoes, given its a small water leak, I'd have at least tried to re-let whilst repairs were being organised.

You notified them of the problem on 3rd May......and it takes 2 weeks for their person to view the problem which sounds about right. Now they presumaby have to arrange a roofing contractor to effect repairs. Given the nature of the problem, a temporary fix isn't possible. The company can only act as fast as their contractors workload will allow. They have a duty to spend the service charges efficiently and paying for an emergency call out for a small leak might not be viewed by them as making best use of that money.

Good luck.

Archived