Tenant wanting Gas Cooker

dazooboo

I have a tenant who would like a gas cooker the are a fairly good tenant and the current cooker is electric and there is no gas supply to kitchen at the moment. They said they would pay half to installing gas and purchase their own cooker. Is there any issues with this arrangement and what are the implications on standard of cooker that they purchase?Any body done this before?

There are no issues with what you are saying. Get your Gasesafe engineer to issue you with your Landlord's Annual Gas safety certificate at the same time.

It won't be a cheap job though...new copper gas pipework, installing and commissioning your gas cooker and Landlord's certificate. Still if they are good tenants why not BUT beware if they leave they will want their cooker!..... and you will be left with a hole to fill.

Mel.

• 1 month later...

Please can you explain why you are doing this? If not to the forum, then to yourself. By installing a gas cooker, you are not making an improvement to the property, just a costly modification and therefore not adding any value to the property. In addition to this you will be adding to your expenditure the added cost of yearly gas safety checks. You are paying for this but getting nothing in return, why? I think you should approach this from a more logical direction and think about your motivation.

Andy B

Try some lateral thinking Andy B. Tenant may stay longer if gas cooker available and if he/she is a particularly good tenant the outlay (which is tax deductable) is not wasted.

I find a lot of tenants prefer gas for cooking. If property already has gas CH then boiler and cooker can go on same certificate with no extra charge (also tax deductable).

Mortitia

I dont think a new cooker is tax deductible if you are claiming 10% wear and tear

Try some lateral thinking Andy B. Tenant may stay longer if gas cooker available and if he/she is a particularly good tenant the outlay (which is tax deductable) is not wasted.

I find a lot of tenants prefer gas for cooking. If property already has gas CH then boiler and cooker can go on same certificate with no extra charge (also tax deductable).

Mortitia

Archived