Cannabis Farms In Your Property?

Melboy

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OUR READERS.

Much discussed topic on this forum so this is a timely reminder in 2011 for all landlords to check what their tenant is up to. When did you or your LA last carry out a pyhsical check to make sure everything is OK?

I think it is fairly well known fact that Far East type persons are mainly responsible for fronting the huge rise in cannabis farms in private rented property in the UK. They will use a respectable Front Man/Woman to secure the property and normally offer 6/12 months cash up front payments and once in rip your property to bits and cause £thousand of pounds worth of damage!

Insurance companies will not pay up so you have been warned.

http://www.dailyfinance.co.uk/2011/01/07/landlords-warned-on-cannabis-farms/

As you can read NOBODY is safe and as described Vietnamese/Chinese Tenants passed the LA's security check, always of course assuming it was a thorough check. Look at the repair bill and the insurance company would not have paid out either!

Mel.

Police chiefs property used as cannabis farm -

A police chief's own experience as a landlord has highlighted the drugs problem in the rental sector, after criminals turned his property into a cannabis factory.

Rod Jarman, a deputy assistant commissioner at Scotland Yard, had rented out the four-bedroom property which was his former home through an online letting agent.

The £400,000 property was then turned into a drugs emporium, growing thousands of super-strong skunk plants.

Worried neighbours tipped off Mr Jarman after hearing strange noises coming from the house in Abridge, Essex.

When the police chief visited, he found plants and all the necessary equipment for growing the class B drug.

There were also signs that the house had been broken into, possibly by a rival drugs gang, with a machete found lying on the floor and a rear window smashed.

The criminals caused £48,000 of damage and ran up a £20,000 electricity bill for the heating needed to grow the cannabis.

The man who rented the property is understood to have given the letting agent proof of identity and bank details. He had a name common in China and Vietnam.

Mr Jarman said: Despite 31 years experience of policing I didnt see it coming. It is an absolutely awful thing for people to find their home has been destroyed for somebody elses illegal gain.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is another case..........

For all you non forum members reading this article what's your Tenant doing to your property? When did you last check your property?

Forum members, hopefully, are only too well aware of the consquences of not carrying out stringent tenant checks.....I would hope!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2140955/Respectable-tenants-turned-house-cannabis-farm-Couple-face-20-000-return-house-state.html

The clue was in them letting to 'a Vietnamese couple' and I bet they took 6 months rent at least upfront.

In the last 18 months in my area there have been 12 cannabis farms raided all run by Vietnamese. What are these people doing here one could ask?- well they all seem to come in on student visas to study and promptly get involved with illegal substance cultivation, Why are the UK Border Force not keeping tabs on these scammers?

Mortitia

They did take 6 months rent up front but their biggest mistake was not undertaking the initial check after the tenant moved in which should have been no later than 2 months. In the article it says they "went back several months later".....wrong! Too late!

As amateur landlord's they were not as wily as the rest of us but how do you get the message across to any potential newbie landlord?... trust noone! :ph34r::D

• 3 weeks later...

Got a really weird situation. Had 2 chinese and 1 vietnamese students over to look at a flat. They have taken it which I found really weird as it wasn't really a student flat, I find the area and condition of the flat to not attract the modern students.... Anyway I advised them that I always do viewing every month so they would have to let me in every month which they were ok with. Have taken his passport copy and bank statement copy. They are new so don't have ref's.

What else can I check? I got a funny feeling about this one but then how can you not give it, that would be bordering on choosing your T's on their ethnic background.

Got a really weird situation. Had 2 chinese and 1 vietnamese students over to look at a flat. They have taken it which I found really weird as it wasn't really a student flat, I find the area and condition of the flat to not attract the modern students.... Anyway I advised them that I always do viewing every month so they would have to let me in every month which they were ok with. Have taken his passport copy and bank statement copy. They are new so don't have ref's.

What else can I check? I got a funny feeling about this one but then how can you not give it, that would be bordering on choosing your T's on their ethnic background.

In their passport there would have been a student entry Visa stamped. Did you check for this?

The chances are you have nothing to be concerned about but you are right to check after 1 month to make sure.

And what's wrong with selection by ethnic background? Lol!!;)

In their passport there would have been a student entry Visa stamped. Did you check for this?

The chances are you have nothing to be concerned about but you are right to check after 1 month to make sure.

Didn't check that. Just took a photo of a front page. But that doesn't matter as a letting agent advises me that he let me one and checked all references including taking their proof for being students and still the place was turned into a Canabis farm.

These are the people they target. They are on their last 6 months in the UK and are giving money to go and get rental accomodations.

Its a 3 bed upstairs flat and I really don't think they can do much out of it. Besides I am there every day as I own quite a few other houses on that street. Watch it still be converted! mad.gif

Archived