Jump to content

BTL Ownership


Recommended Posts

Hi fisherman,

It depends how you and your wife own the property at the moment. If you own the property as "tenants in common" (rather than jointly) then you can allocate different percentages of property income and expenditure using something called a "deed of trust".

A deed of trust does not need a solicitor and many are available to download "for free" on the Internet. The deed of trust basically is an agreement between "tenants in common" agreeing which person owns what percentage.

If you are moving property for tax purposes I would not suggest changing the actual deeds ..... but would create a deed of trust where your wife owns 99% of the property and you retain the remaining 1%. Then, in the future if your tax circumstances change, you could modify the deed of trust to re-balance the ownership to 50/50.

Hope that helps ....


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...