Visit the rented property

rosita

Hi

I am a new landlady. Would appreciate any advice please. The gas safety check is due for renewal in a few week's time. The plumber would prefer to come in the morning or early afternoon and the tenants work during the day, so the question is : would it be okay to enter the property (with the tenants' approval) without them being in? I am just worried that I would be accused of , say something missing from the flat, or they could make a story up? Does this thing ever happen?

thanks

rosita

Rosita,

It is OK, and what your tenant should expect of their landlord. The safety of gas appliances is your responsibility.

Contact your tenant with as much notice as you can, explain about the annual gas check (legal for tenants' safety), and ask the tenant what arrangements they would like to be made for access. As a landlord, I would normally offer to be in the property to let the plumber in and remain to mind the property whilst the work is done, available to discuss any matters arising from the tests. On some occasions the tenant has offered to be there themselves, but usually I would attend.

If the tenants are concerned for their valuables, give them the opportunity to secure or remove them.

I have not had a problem.

I always am in attendance when having the gas safety check carried out and the "Plumber" is my Son!

Obviously I do this because then there can be no accusations of items going missing or touched at any time. Independent witness so to speak. If any tenant says they cannot allow this to happen then it would be a case of insisting that they are present as indeed they would have to be under any other circumstances of waiting for parcel delivery etc.

I have to say though I have never had a problem.

Mel.

Archived