Unfair? rent collection Fee

svin7654

Hello All

I rented out my property in London through an estate agent. They collected a rent collection fee for a period of 18 months(Full duration of the tenancy)

After a few months the tenant started pestering me through the estate agents wanting to leave due to exceptional family circumstances-claimed he was shot while in Africa so would have been cruel not to let him go.

After he had left I then realised that the agents had charged a fee of £1300+vat in fees (non refundable) so though the tenant left after 5months the estate agents collected their full Fee.

Subsequently the found me a new tenant and have done the same with the fees again-so I have ended up paying the same fee twice. Fortunately the current tenant has stayed on/

I feel silly but also feel that I have been taken for a ride and have vowed not to use the same estate agents again.I have thought of issuing a small claims court claim but the tenancy agreement does state that they will be charging a fee of £1300+vat even if the tenant leaves after 1month! somewhere in the smalll print amongst 25 pages of agreement

Any comments or advice would be appreciated

Hello All

I rented a property in London through an estate agent. They collected a rent collection fee for a period of 18 months(Full duration of the tenancy)

After a few months the tenant started pestering me through the estate agents wanting to leave due to exceptional family circumstances-claimed he was shot while in Africa so would have been cruel not to let him go.

After he had left I then realised that the agents had charged a fee of £1300+vat in fees (non refundable) so though the tenant left after 5months the estate agents collected their full Fee.

Subsequently the found me a new tenant and have done the same with the fees again-so I have ended up paying the same fee twice. Fortunately the current tenant has stayed on/

I feel silly but also feel that I have been taken for a ride and have vowed not to use the same estate agents again.I have thought of issuing a small claims court claim but the tenancy agreement does state that they will be charging a fee of £1300+vat even if the tenant leaves after 1month! somewhere in the smalll print amongst 25 pages of agreement

Any comments or advice would be appreciated

Not a lot you can do about it..... now.

We, on this Forum, have stated time and time again for Landlord's to read the small print thoroughly in any Tenancy/Landlords agreements set up by LA's.

You should try and recover some of your costs but avoid legal action as this could amount to more than you are trying to claim back.

Mel.

What Mel says is right - this topic comes up time and time again.

When you are given the agents Terms of Business read it very carefully and take note of any charges they want to make. Then ask yourself are they reasonable.

When you sign up if you don't like these terms strike them out in pen and initial this marking in the margin. I have done this in the past and 1 big Ldon agent has accepted it. If they object then use another agent. Be more selective about the type of tenant you want. In London if you get one staying more than a year you are doing well so don't sign up for an 18 month fee - outrageous!

Do your homework and find an agent that is fair and sound. Read, read, read, everything on this subject and make yourself an expert not a victim.

Mortitia

What Mel says is right - this topic comes up time and time again.

When you are given the agents Terms of Business read it very carefully and take note of any charges they want to make. Then ask yourself are they reasonable.

When you sign up if you don't like these terms strike them out in pen and initial this marking in the margin. I have done this in the past and 1 big Ldon agent has accepted it. If they object then use another agent. Be more selective about the type of tenant you want. In London if you get one staying more than a year you are doing well so don't sign up for an 18 month fee - outrageous!

Do your homework and find an agent that is fair and sound. Read, read, read, everything on this subject and make yourself an expert not a victim.

Mortitia

Thanks I have been cleverer since then and have already put into practice what you have suggested . I hope other landlords do not fall into similar traps-I am using new agents and strike off the bits in the tenancy agreement which are unacceptable.

It sounded very strange that they could charge me 2 rent collection fees(previous tenant who left early) and current tenant who moved in and get away with it.

svin

As soon as I have filed a case against the estate agent they have sent me a letter claiming I owe them unpaid fee/rent collection fee(for the rent that never got paid and the tenant who got evicted) and that I owe them fee on another property from 6 months ago! Strange all this is happening within 24 hours of filing a court case.Tactics to make me withdraw moneyclaimonline case which I won't . I have had enough of estate agents taking my money and not doing the job. I wouldn't hesitate in reporting them to OFT . They seem to be forgetting that they are working for me and that I am paying them their fee .

Archived