Gas and electric suppliers

Mortitia

Hi all,

Usually I let my tenants decide what company they want to use to get the best deal as long as they tell me which it is when they leave. Recently I re-let a flat where the previous tenant was with Eon for dual fuel. He was a price conscious guy so I decided to keep with Eon whilst upgrading the property in August and September and let accounts continue with new tenants. Eon answer their phones very quickly which was a plus point for me.

On 20th Sept I let this property to a couple of senior citizens who had been renting nearby an all electric flat. When lead tenant in the previous week called his supplier (S. Electric) to give a final meter reading they asked if they could supply him at his new home. Tenant who had signed an AST with me at that time said' yes'. Southern Electric are now saying that means he has entered a formal contract. I am arguing it means nothing of the kind. Southern Electric also say they take no notice of the landlord or what is written in the AST!

To cut a long story short I have had to fight S Electric all the way to wrestle the electric account back to Eon (gas stayed with them). Tenant has admitted he acted too quickly and was caught out by S Electric. Also they read the meter (allegedly 2 days after T's moved in) and added 100 units! When I asked for an explanation they said this was common practice on rentals. I was also amazed to be told it could take 6-8 weeks to move the account back to Eon. In this digital age I can see no reason for this.

Anyone else had grief like this?

Mortitia

Southern Electric are wrong in their assumption.

The landlord has the final say and the AST is law especially when these utility companies try it on now with trying to recover costs from landlords when the tenant has done a bunk without paying.

Fact: Provided you have informed the utility company of change-over (landlord to tenant) responsibility for paying the bills and provided a meter reading you, the landlord cannot be held responsible for money outstanding. Recent court case on this very subject.

Fact: A tenant cannot change suppliers without informing his/her landlord and getting approval to do so. This is a condition laid down in nearly all AST's now.

Any utility company telling you different tell them to foxtrot oscar and go and learn some property/ AST law ... and not what they would like to see happen.

Mel.

Archived