Broken Window

RAJ KUMER

My Tenants broke my window in my bedroom apartment. I wish to deduct this from their deposit but they are disputing it, making up one excuse after the other why it broke. The cost of this due to the broken glass will cost me £450. Am I in the right demanding the tenants pay? If so why are the management agency being so hopeless and not supporting me as landlord?

If you are demanding repayment, are you able to answer Yes to these questions, to a judge if necessary?

In your tenancy contract, does it mention window breakages as a tenant's responsibility?

Are you able to prove your £450 cost of repair with receipts? (That seems a lot of glass.)

Can you prove how your tenant broke the window?

Does your agent agree?

Thank you Chestnut

The Tenancy Agreement states that they should pay for any damage caused although not specifically broken windows

Yes I have a receipt/quotation in writing for the window. More than just replacing the glass is necessary. A service must be done which is £150 plus other incidentals which come due to the breakage/safety.

The breakage is listed on the check out so this must be proof the tenants broke the window?

The agent has been absolutely hopeless not makiny any comments even though I paid full management fees throughout.

...........and can you claim on insurance?

Windows don't just "break" something or somebody causes the window to break and the Tenant has to stand to account of how this event happened.

Was it down to them? or did an object like a bird fly into the window? if it was the latter case then, no, the tenant cannot be held responsible for any breakages and the landlord foots the cost of replacing and deducts that expense from his annual tax bill.

£450 sounds a lot of money to me for a broken window even if it is double glazed etc.

Mel.

I suggest you ask your insurance company for a claim form and see what answers they want.

If the tenant hasn't admitted liability, (you state your 'check out' is a list - hence probably not legal proof of admission), a successful insurance claim could be a simpler method of recovering your cost and saves wasting further time (hassle) with tenant and agent.

Failing that, and assuming you're between tenants, except cost as part of tidying up for the next one .....and move on.

Archived