Is Agent Responsible?

Emily

Hi

I have recently parted with my agent who managed a property for me.

I asked for the keys, EPC & Gas certificate to be returned, i have not received any items. I e-mailed the agent stating if the items had not been received by myself at the end of last week i could only assume they were lost. This would result in changing the locks & unless the items had been sent 'recorded' (in which case Royal Mail would pay for locks etc) the bill would be at their cost.

The reply i received said if items were posted 'recorded' this would have been at my cost & to get locks changed again would be at my cost not theirs. They sent a second e-mail saying ''anyway you have got a set of keys just swap the locks over front & back''!

Is it their responsibility to get keys etc back to me?

Now i am left with costs to replace locks, EPC, Gas etc etc

Any advise would be fab!

Thanks

It does not sound like you parted on good terms with your agent - what is the story there?

Did the agent get the EPC and Gas cert done for you or did you have them done elsewhere? If so you should have or kept a copy.

Look at and READ your contract with the agent. Return of keys etc will be covered in that document - what does it say - they all vary.

Sounds like you should not have given ultimatums - can you go in their office and retreive these items? - that would be quickest.

Mortitia

The agent had the Gas Cert & EPC done, i have never seen any copies.

I also do not have a contract, only ever signed the tenancy agreements for any tenants?

They say items were posted back to me so cant go & collect??

Emily

The agent had the Gas Cert & EPC done, i have never seen any copies.

I also do not have a contract, only ever signed the tenancy agreements for any tenants?

They say items were posted back to me so cant go & collect??

Emily

Ask for the name of the persons who carried out the EPC & Gas certificates. They will have the Master Copies of these documents.

All Landlords should have a copy of the contract and AST as a matter of course....never except any excuse for not having these documents in your possession.

If you have a set a keys then have a couple more cut for the time being.

Do not let the LA get away with it though. Can you not make a personal visit?

Mel.

Assuming the agent has charged you for the gas certificate / epc, you have every right to a copy.

Trading Standards may also be interested in this - especially if you have reason to suspect these documents don't exist.

When using an agent, use an ARLA one, not a cheap one. If this lot are ARLA ask for a copy of complaints procedure.

Archived