Leaving a letting agency

kerbybabe

We have been renting our property through an agency for a while now and would like to leave the agency and manage the property ourselves. Our tenants are happy to do this.

Can anyone advise how to make the transition as painless as possible and what I need to put in place with my tenant? I am expecting argy bargy with the agency, so how do i protect myself and my tenant? The current contract are due to end next month.

Thank you for your help.

Which contract are you referring to? The one between you and the tenant or you and the agent?

Read your contract with the agent and act according to its terms when giving notice. If you seek to break those terms then you can rightly expect "argy bargy" from the agent! After all, you expect your tenant to abide by the term of his contract with you.

• 2 weeks later...

My agreement with the LA, was a min of 1 year, but because i was having so much trouble with them i sent them an email, telling them i was giving instant notice i did not want to use their services anymore, i had already made other arrangements with a different LA, i made the tenants aware of the situation The original LA never contested their dismissal. Hope that helps.

We have been renting our property through an agency for a while now and would like to leave the agency and manage the property ourselves. Our tenants are happy to do this.

Can anyone advise how to make the transition as painless as possible and what I need to put in place with my tenant? I am expecting argy bargy with the agency, so how do i protect myself and my tenant? The current contract are due to end next month.

Thank you for your help.

You need to read your contract with the LA especially the small print and let us know how you get on.

Mel.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had this problem too.

The contracts usually are onesided in the agents favour so it is a good idea to start saying the contract is unfair and that all terms and conditions should apply equally to both parties, so if the contract says that they can just dump you then you can just dump them.

Get them on breach of contract in addition if you can.

Next ensure that the tenant knows that if they strat paying you or the new agent the rent then it is you who is responsible for any claims not them and write to the agent and the tenant to that effect.

Then get the tenant to start paying you or the new agent.

Done.

If they try to sue you for loss of income due to you taking the the agency fees from them then this is limited to the sum that they would have earned until the tenant could legally leave the property.

If you want to cover yourself here, gbet the tenant to send the agent notice of say one month and at the same time give the agent one month notice. You will then pay them one more month management and you can re-let the property to the same tenant.

If it is F*****s in London then they may have some unfair clause written into their contracts which appears to stop you at every turn. If that is the case talk to trading standards about unfair contracts and clauses.

You can name and shame FOXTONS The company lost their case against (unfair) contractural tenancy renewal clauses in a High Court whereby the judge ruled in favour of the Landlord so it is in the public domain.

Mel.

Archived