energy performance certificates

salavan

hi i understand that it is now law to provide an energy performance certificate to tenants.

i have a tenant in my properety for the last 7 years he had a new tenancy agreement 3 years ago non since so he is now on a periodic tenancy for the last 2 years.

do i still need to issue him with an energy performance certificate even though his tenancy agreement was writen issued on march 2007

Hi Salavan,

I would say that no you don't have to provide him with one as he moved in well before EPC's started. The EPC lasts 10 years and costs between £50 -£100 depending on where you live so I would save your bucks and get one done when this tenant departs.

No tenant has ever asked to see one of these from me. Just as an update has anyone been asked by a tenant at a viewing for their EPC rating?

Also I notice on another website that the people who paid a fortune to do the simple course qualifying them to do EPC's are now trying to sue the government as their earnings are not what they were led to believe - mainly due to the collapse of the Home Information Pack which was to accompany all residential sales.

Mortitia

Hi Mortitia

In all our lets since the legislation came into force I have had just ONE tenant ask to see the EPC on the viewing. She was Australian and I believe that they are standard over there which would explain it. :(

Since Oct 2008 landlords are required by law to have an EPC for inspection by prospective tenants. (see Energy Performance on this site). It doesn't (yet) apply to tenancies starting prior to that date.

A 2 bed cottage EPC cost me £50.00. The grading was as poor as expected and recommendations for energy improvements were listed.

I don't think any prospective tenants asked to see the certificate. But in this case conclusions from inspection of the property itself were adequate enough.

Archived