I don't want to keep paying for new gas appliances

SJFreeman

I am a Gas Safe Registered plumber living in Rochester, Kent. I cover Swale, the Medway towns and Maidstone and in recent months have had numerous calls from landlords who have been told that they need new appliances, usually combination boilers. They call asking for quotes for boiler replacements and when i arrive 9 out of 10 times the boiler can be repaired, occasionally without the need to even buy parts.

My advice to any landlord being told they need a new appliance, especially if it is not that old would be to ask for a second opinion, and if possible ask for references from past clients.

Thanks for that SJ. I hope you are not advertising for work?

I am not a plumber but have a fair amount of combi boilers to keep certified safe.

Luckily my regular gas safe person is a bit of a 'boiler anorak' and will happily do repairs but he says that if a boiler is over 10 years old you may as well get a new one. A new one will also be a lot more fuel efficient and hopefully not break down.

There is no doubt that plumbers make more money on supply and fit of a new boiler so maybe that is why you get so many landlords asking for quotes - because they are shocked at the price!

Mortitia

• 2 weeks later...

This is why i like eletric heating systems and appliances much less hassel but yep i see your points if it went that way then everyone would end up with a new boiler every year my one is the origonal gas one put in the house when it was built in the 1970s so it nearly or is 40 years old and it dose the job of heating the house and providing the hot water though it will proberly need repalcing soon as we have started replaceing radators and the thermostat when it dies will be looking for a bosh gas boiler with a soalr panel or a log/pelit burinng stove with back boiler as current gas one is a baxi back boiler and having solar panel fitted to south facing roof for hot water in the summer and the stove for cental heating and hot water in the winter and wont look to replace that for at least 20 years if not 50.

• 11 months later...

40 years that is some good wear. My boiler is about 12 years and in the last 12 months I have had to call out British Gas at least 3 times. The pump and thermocouple have needed to be fixed and an infuriating knocking noise which disturbed all the neighbours annoyed us for weeks. So I'm in the process of looking at new boilers. Anyone had an new combi boiler installed recently?

Pump and a themocouple doesn't warrant a boiler change. £150-£175 ?

The knocking noise would probably be some form of sludge build-up or scale....easily fixed.

British Gas have a good solid reputation in the trade for being pricey even after you strip out all the "Free" items on offer. Not that I am knocking that as a lot of work comes our way via BG quotes.

Any good Gasafe VAT registered company will beat the BG quote any day and still carry out a thoroughly professional job as well.

Mel.

Archived