Tenants fail to move in

adw1

Having used an agency to find and verify tenants for my house, the tenants did not turn up on the moving in date. Despite many failed attempts to contact them by phone and email, they eventually emailed the agency the day after they were supposed to move in to say that they were no longer interested in the house.

Does anyone know if I have any redress please?

Probably not. Your LA would have taken a deposit and would have charged the incoming tenants certain fee's but I bet they will be holding onto any money they have received as their payment due for services rendered.

You need to talk to your LA I would suggest.

Mel.

Perhaps I can help as an agent.

Did they actually sign a tenancy agreement? If they did then a contract exists and you should, in theory at least, be able to claim compensation until the property is re-let. However the cost and time involved may not be worth it. It would be easier to cut your losses and get the property remarketed as a matter of urgency. Whilst we have not (as yet) had this happen to us, we have had tenants withdraw because of redundancy etc part-way through referencing, particularly over the last year.

As for the agency, no doubt they will have taken a fee for their services which they are entitled to since it is not their fault that the tenants did not move in. I cannot and would not tell them how to run their business but, were you our client then you would be offered a hefty discount on the charges for the next tenant as a goodwill gesture. :angry:

Talk to your agent - they are there to help you!

Did they actually sign a tenancy agreement? If they did then a contract exists and you should, in theory at least, be able to claim compensation until the property is re-let.

Despite signature on a tenancy agreement, I believe you have to prove that a tenancy was actually created - which didn't happen in this case

As for the agency, no doubt they will have taken a fee for their services which they are entitled to since it is not their fault that the tenants did not move in.

Surely, as tenants didn't move in, the agency hasn't found a tenant and therefore wouldn't be entitled to a fee?

Despite signature on a tenancy agreement, I believe you have to prove that a tenancy was actually created - which didn't happen in this case

Surely, as tenants didn't move in, the agency hasn't found a tenant and therefore wouldn't be entitled to a fee?

Cancellation fee which around these parts is £100 which is probably what the LA has taken for upfront services.

Mel.

Archived